7-8

Monday, October 8, 2012

Silver Linings

The play has been cast, with the usual array of ecstasy and heartbreak.

Auditions last week comprised both improv exercises and readings from the script. Before we began, I told the middle schoolers this story. Once I auditioned for a play and was bitterly disappointed to receive a secondary role. It was a good part, but not the one I wanted. I was so angry that, for the only time in my life up to that point, I nearly declined the play altogether. In the end, I accepted the role.

The show was a disaster. It was a highly anticipated production that won an award from our college newspaper for the biggest build-up with the worst payoff. The director grew up to be an aerobics instructor.

However, I've never regretted taking that role in that play, because that's how I met my wife Abby.

That story probably didn't resonate with fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth graders, but I like it.

Our first read-through of Gilgamesh will occur during the school day on this Wednesday, October 10. Be sure to ask your kids about it when they come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment