Earlier this week, we polled all of our fifth through eighth graders. Every student was listed on the ballot, and each was asked to vote for two students apiece in fifth, sixth and seventh grade.
Here are the results:
1. Every single student received votes.
2. Alexandra Montgomery and Melissa LoCicero were chosen to represent the fifth grade.
3. Mike Paskus and Jianmarco Barbeau were voted in as sixth grade representatives.
4. Lily Willatt and Saul Vielmetti were selected from the seventh grade.
5. Taylor Baughman ran unopposed.
6. More students voted for Mike than any other candidate.
The group met for the first time on Thursday, March 28. We discussed the groups's responsibilities: legislative (what programs should we create?); executive (how should we implement them?); and judiciary (how will we gauge how well they're working?). Saul took notes and will post these on a shared document for the SK community. For now, our goals are to create an SK constitution and bill of rights, establish a judiciary board, facilitate input from the younger grades, and outline the responsibilities of the governmental body. We will be meeting weekly to pursue these objectives.